On Death & Dying With Author, Speaker, Thought Leader & Expert on End of Life Care, Barbara Karnes,RN
Questions addressed on this episode:
1. When initially studying to become a registered nurse, did you already know
that you wanted to work in hospice care?
- If so, what drew you to this field?
- If not, how did you end up in this field of focus?
2. You have created SO many resources for the end of life/death & dying
community from books to articles to dvds — was this because you saw a gap
in literature/resources and wanted to fill it?
- Is there one resource you created that you are most proud of?
- Tell us about your book that has sold over 30 million copies & is lovingly
referred to as the “little blue hospice book” — who needs this book? What
does it offer readers?
3. What was is like to work during the height of the AIDS crisis? Were you
ever scared/did you ever second-guess being in this field of work?
4. You have been at the bedside of hundreds of people as they have
transitioned from this world - what has being around death taught you about
5. What is the biggest misconception people have about death and dying?
What is one thing every person should know about the end of life?
6. What is one way we can care for a person at the end of their life?
- What is one way we can support someone in our life who is currently
serving as a caretaker?
7. For the caretakers listening/watching: What is one resource they should
have? Which book/dvd should they acquire if they had to choose one?
8. How can people get in touch with or follow you?